RARA-AVIS: Cormac McCarthy's _The Road_

From: Craig Larson ( CLarson@nhcc.edu)
Date: 12 Jan 2007

After trying a couple of his books and giving up (the creative use or non-use of punctuation, particularly in dialogue passages, makes it hard to keep reading), I finally managed to stick with a McCarthy title, his latest, _The Road_, all the way through and was absolutely riveted. The book follows a father and son as they trek through the ruins of an apocalyptic America, foraging for food and trying to keep clear of the
"bad guys." It's told in short bursts of story and is a fairly short book, but it was completely gripping and depressing and noirish. Maybe I'll have to go back and give _Blood Meridian_ another try after all.

Craig Larson Maple Grove