RARA-AVIS: Lolita

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 10 Jan 2007

There sure are Lolita copies in the fifties and sixties paperbacks. I don't know if it has any intention to be so, but Jonathan Craig's SO YOUNG, SO WICKED (GM 1957) is a spin on the Lolita theme: the 15-year old nymphette seduces the hired gun so that he won't kill her. (Does it actually precede Nabokov's book? Was that from 1959? So, maybe Nabokov read some of the earlier nymphette noirs?)

I think the case could be made that Nabokov's book is noir. It's about a man whose behaviour dooms him from the beginning. And there's a crime, even a murder in it.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com