RARA-AVIS: Cockfighting in the News

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2007

Here's part of a political blog from yesterday's Houston Chronicle. The rest is at the link:

What's this, cockfighting is legal in New Mexico?

I had no idea until reading an editorial page piece in this morning's *Wall Street Journal* (which was written by Abraham Verghese of the University of Texas Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, and was actually about cosmically, mass-viewed violence and also about the death penalty in general, and Saddam's hanging in particular).

It's an interesting take on a big issue, but I could barely get past the opening paragraph and this startling disclosure that (according to Verghese) New Mexico is the only state in which cockfighting has not been outlawed.
(The Web site of the Humane Society of the United States says it's also legal in Louisiana but points out it has been outlawed in six Louisiana parishes and in 13 New Mexico counties and 28 municipalities.) http://blogs.chron.com/cragghines/2007/01/its_about_time_bill.html

Bill Crider