Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir with no crime?

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2007

"On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, "Tropic of Capricorn" by Henry Miller, "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck although there are murders and other crimes in that one, it's not really 'about' the crimes. To be truly 'noir' though, I think the character has to be driven to positively desperate acts in order to achieve a dream the reader can see clearly he can never achieve due to his character flaws. Surely, Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment" is the template for all the noir novels that came after it.

Patrick King