RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir with no crime?

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, vhend1234@... wrote:

> I tried to find the answer to the year cockfighting was outlawed, but I just
> see a lot of things that are still being done to strengthen the laws.
> Apparently, it has been illegal for quite some time, but either the law hasn't been
> enforced or there are loopholes. True, magazines on Cockfighting still exist
> nonetheless. I'm not a very good researcher, so maybe someone else can find
> out the year the law was originally passed.
> Vicki

No matter, this sport is not a _crime_ in the sense in which we talk about "crime fiction". Think of what would happen if suddenly boxing was outlawed... would you say that a story involving boxing was criminous? I think that _the_ archetypal crime in crime fiction is murder. This includes the threat or the suspicion of murder.

A noir novel without any crime whatever is Patricia Highsmith's _Edith's Diary_, one of the bleakest cold showers I have ever read. It's really nasty as well as scary.

Best,

MrT