RARA-AVIS: Re: David Goodis on eBay

From: uplandharmabooks ( uplandharmabooks@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2007

Hi Jeff-

I must respectfully disagree with you just a little. The whole book world is a buyer's market right now, especially on ebay. There are some authors who are very colletible (Goodis is one of them) and supply right now can't meet the demand. To find a copy of Of Missing Persons in fine condition, comparable to the one on ebay, a collector would have to pay $100 on ABEbooks. And the buyer of Fire in the Flesh actually got a deal at $59.99 in that fine condition. Since the buyers set the price on ebay I can't agree that the all sellers are greedy. However, I think some sellers take advantage of the fact that not everyone knows about ABEbooks where a buyer can sometimes get a comparable copy of some books for much less than they pay on ebay.

Ok, here's where I agree with you :) The Black Wings seller obviously didn't know what she had (we were watching that auction and planning to bid); I can only guess someone tipped her off and rather than letting the original auction fly and let collectors bid the price up, she got greedy. Now, $500 may very well be a fair price for that book because it's so rare and her copy is just gorgeous. But I'm not sure the collectors watching ebay will appreciate what she did or be willing to start bidding at $499 (although they may have bid it up to that price had she left the original auction alone). But you never know, some bibliomaniac may reward her greed and bid.

Amy