Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Bukowski

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 06 Jan 2007

In a message dated 1/5/2007 10:22:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com writes:
  Kevin said:

If he had written the very same books, but have lived a "normal" life
(whatever that is), would he have been any less a writer?

I don't think his life had anything to do with how good his writing is. He just happens to be a colorful character. I know plenty of alcoholics who are crazy and self destructive, and it doesn't help get them published. The art has to be there. Harry Crews is another example. He's still around by the way. I saw him in the documentary Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus. He's looking pretty rough, but sounds as tough as ever. Vicki