Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir by female authors

From: david david ( davividavid@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2007

since some women have a preconception of the genre as male-centered and have avoided crime/noir/hardboiled fiction altogether, i think discovering women authors could be an entry into the genre for some. i agree with miker's implication that the main criteria for appreciation should of course be the achievement and not the gender of the writer. at the same time i think that the efforts of feminist presses to rescue female authors of bygone eras from obscurity is important, and even in the cases where novels aren't great, we may get unique insights about female perspectives/characters from them. case in point is fallen angel by mary holland, a writer that Cain really liked.

 i mentioned only the earlier writers because i haven't read any modern crime fiction writers yet--i'm still reading the 30s-60s stuff--and can't recommend any newer stuff by women or men, though i hope to get to newer writers in the next few years