RARA-AVIS: Re: Anyway, Goodis

From: uplandharmabooks ( uplandharmabooks@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2007

Hey Vicki-

I've found that women who like noir/hardboiled are really outnumbered by the men...which means that yeah, we're oddballs LOL. Most of the women I've tried to talk to about it think it sounds way too dark, violent, and generally mysogynistic; they like cozy mysteries...eewww. :D

Granted, back in the day the target audience was men, but my hubby (a huge noir geek) ran across some correspondence (in an article) to publishers and authors from a few women who loved it. I think the women nowadays who see the genre as simply mysongynistic male fantasy stories are really missing out. My sis is one; she can't see the femme fatales as strong women, but automatically sees them as the creations of a male chauvinist's mind and nothing more. To me, it's not so much about the evil-but-beautiful women who lead men to doom, but people overall. A good writer can make a reader relate to the protagonist regardless of gender, and Goodis definitely does that for me (ok, there, I brought myself back to the Goodis topic of the thread LOL).

Amy