Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: Bukowski

From: Tapani Bagge ( tapani.bagge@armas.fi)
Date: 03 Jan 2007

I think Post Office is one his best books. I may be partial, since I used to be a postman for a while in my younger days, and I found many familiar incidents and feelings in the book.

There are dozens of movie versions of his stories and books. The oldest, Tales of Ordinary Madness, was directed by Italian Marco Ferreri and starred Ben Gazzara and Ornella Muti. I liked that a lot when I saw it. I've also heard good things said about Factotum, directed by Norwegian Bent Hamer (whose Kitchen Stories is a strange but excellent film) and starring Matt Dillon, Lili Taylor and Marisa Tomei. Barfly is great, too. Come to think of it, that was directed by Barbet Schroeder, who's originally from Germany, I believe.

I refuse to draw any conclusions on that.

Tapani Bagge