Re: RE : RARA-AVIS: Bukowski

From: William Harker ( wharker@verizon.net)
Date: 03 Jan 2007

At 12:00 PM 1/3/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>I was just looking for the book of Henry Chinaski's early years, to
>recommend it. Ham on Rye, correct? I see someone has stolen my copy
>or failed to
>return it--maddening!

At one point, I had this problem as well. Fortunately, a couple of Christmases ago, my niece gave me "Your Home Library" which is from the New York Public Library and published by Running Press. It is based on Filemaker software, but is much simpler than standard Filemaker because everything is already set up. All you have to do is key in the data. It allows me to keep track of all my books, including a place where I can list to whom and when a book was lent. It also allows me to keep track of my library's value.

In turn, I bought Filemaker Pro to keep track of all my short stories, CDs, Old-Time Radio shows. So when anything goes out of this house (even if *I* take it out), I have a record of where it went and who took it. It's especially valuable in keeping track of where my short stories are located. As I am slowly but surely collecting copies of original stories in magazines like Smart Set, Detective Fiction Weekly, and many others (as I find libraries which have the particular issues) these individual copies have a tendency to get "lost" in the mix but I now have some handle on where certain items are.

I am not affiliated with anyone who sells any of these products. Just offering *a* solution for what can be an irritating problem.

Bill Harker