Re: RARA-AVIS: Charlie Huston's Caught Stealing

From: Steve Singleton ( singleton2003@comcast.net)
Date: 31 Dec 2006

I think it depends on each reader's assumption of what the author's knowledge should be. I caught the ERA miscue in CAUGHT STEALING, but it didn't bother me as much as others. For example, at the beginning of PISTOL POETS, Victor Gischler places East St. Louis in Missouri, rather than Illinois. Dropping the "East," or changing the character's university from Truman State (in Missouri) to SIU (in Illinois) would have been quick fixes. That one stuck in the back of my mind, and my dad couldn't even get over it enough to enjoy the rest of the book.