Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Caught Stealing

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 31 Dec 2006

  In a message dated 12/30/2006 6:02:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, dz@hardluckstories.com writes:

When I was reading Caught Stealing I picked up the ERA error you mentioned and I think one or two other similar mistakes (glossed over the caught stealing one), and no, it didn't bother me. Caught Stealing at it's heart is a really fun book, very fast-paced, kind of Quentin Tarantinoish in it's style and violence, and a terrific read, and I'd suggest giving it more of a shot. What will stop me dead in reading a book is bad writing, an obvious plot, smugness on the writer's part, poorly drawn characters, etc.
--Dave Z.

What consistently astonishes me is how few mistakes these guys made. Writing at speed, often publishing first-draft material, using a typewriter and with no internet access to fact check, I'm impressed in all sorts of ways. Al

I agree with both Dave and Al, as well as the annoyed people. Getting the details right is important, and I'm sure everybody lives in fear of errors, but they're like proofreading mistakes--rather than showing lack of talent or skill it's a matter of available time. You can have OCD or errors. Would we rather have several less novels from our favorite authors because they took the time to learn every aspect of each minor connection? However, this is a book on baseball that was mentioned, so you would expect some expertise in that area. I used to think that editors were like gods and would catch all these things. Nope. Vicki