Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Caught Stealing

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Dec 2006

I seem to remember a column of Lawrence Block's (or was it in one of his writing books?) where he talks about getting caught when using the wrong knot in a short story about sailing, something he knew little about. He lost future sales to that magazine due to it.

He was caught by a reader. Of course, part of this has to do with the degree and areas of knowledge of the reader. For instance, a silencer on a revolver didn't used to bother me, but now I cringe when I read of one. I can accept a few small mistakes, but as miker mentioned, they can be cumulative, each one drawing me a bit further out of the narrative. Haven't figured out exactly where my threshold is.

Sort of associated with this, I'm sometimes pulled out of an older book, have to remind myself, oh yeah, they couldn't match DNA or whatever then. Of course, that's no fault of the author.

Mark