Re: RARA-AVIS: Charlie Huston's Caught Stealing

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Dec 2006

Kent Morgan wrote:

Am I the only person who can be turned off this quickly by mistakes of this type?

*************** Generally they don't bother me, but reading Goodis's Cassidy's Girl, he talks about Cassidy going into the bus station in the morning and checking the tires, adjusting the carburetor, doing a tune-up, and then noticing the springs are worn so he finds a set in the backroom and changes them, then does the day's run. I had to laugh. It's obvious that Goodis didn't have a clue what changing a set of springs on a bus would require.

Jack Bludis has noted that when this breach of reality drags you out of the story again and again, it threatens to call the writer's skills into question. I buy that.

miker