RARA-AVIS: Female protagonists in hard-boiled fiction

From: Robert Bealmear ( rbealmear@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 22 Dec 2006

Hi, Amy -

Kristin Van Dijk, the seventeen-year-old protagonist in Baby Shark set in the 1950s, is forced to watch her father murdered and then is raped and beaten by three men. She is left to die in a burning building, but survives to take revenge. Just thought this title might fit in.

Best regards,

Robert Fate

I keep wondering about the reviewer of Branded Woman who piqued my curiosity to begin with by mentioning the noir "sub-division" of women's revenge stories; does this category really exist or was she exaggerating? . But I remind myself that the hunt for these books is part of the pleasure!

Amy

Robert Fate, author of Baby Shark & Baby Shark's Beaumont Blues Robert Fate Bealmear www.robertfate.com