RARA-AVIS: Re: Female protagonists in hard-boiled fiction and roman noir

From: Bookbitch ( BookBitch@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Dec 2006

I wanted to add a newcomer to this list, and yes, it fits the time period. I just read BABY SHARK by Robert Fate and it's fabulous. Set in 1952 Texas, the main character becomes known as Baby Shark. Her father was a pool hustler and she traveled the road with him until he was killed in front of her by a motorcycle gang, who then raped and savagely beat her, set the pool hall on fire and left her for dead. She survives and a year later she's a trained killing machine, bent on revenge. Oddly enough, considering the male/female dichotomy here, there is something reminiscent of Mike Hammer in this character. It really doesn't get much grittier than this.
   Stacy
  PS: I'm giving away signed copies of BABY SHARK along with advanced review copies of the sequel, BABY SHARKS' BEAUMONT BLUES. If you're interested, all the details on how to win are here: http://www.bookbitch.com/win_stuff.htm
  I am the BookBitch
 <http://www.bookbitch.com/> www.bookbitch.com Win signed copies of my favorite thrillers of 2006 including THE JURY MASTER by Robert Dugoni, THE KING OF LIES by John Hart, BEAUTIFUL LIES by Lisa Unger and many more!