Re: RARA-AVIS: Female protagonists in hard-boiled fiction and roman noir

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Dec 2006

Amy wrote

You're absolutely right about there being tons of femmes fatale. Where would we be without them? LOL

************** If I recall correctly, you were particularly interested in the 30s through the 60s. Starting with Vin Packer's Spring Fire in 1952, lesbian-themed novels became popular, many of them with a hardboiled or noir edge. I have read a half dozen of Vin Packer's novels and thought them noir, including Spring Fire. Her stuff ranges from good to great. Other than the Packer novel, I haven't read any of the others, but I know that Ann Bannon wrote several. Many of them shared the same venue as the classic noir and hardboiled of the postwar period, published as paperback originals by Gold Medal, Signet, and Avon. Jaye Zimet has a great book out on the subject titled Strange Sisters. I can pick out a few titles that look hardboiled or noir, if you are interested, but I can't vouch for their quality.

Oh. And the answer to the question in your post: Still living the good life in the Garden of Eden. ;-)

miker