RARA-AVIS: Re: S鲩e Noire

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "al_guthrie65" <allan@...> wrote:

> Dave, I don't know ARKADIN so can't comment on that, but the
others
> certainly involve their protagonists confronting death. They're
all
> murderers. Can't get much more confrontational than that.
>
> You might argue that they're all equipped to deal with killing
> people, but I don't see that. None of them is as tough as they
think.
> Dillon asks how he can be lonely with all these dead people
> following him around. And Nick goes all freakshow messianic.
>
> I would argue that the 'hopeless state' of these characters is
very
> much attributable to the fact that they're murderers (ie
confronted
> death).
>
> Al

Al, the point I'm trying to make is that these characters tend to be remorseless, and for the most part they don't feel a hell of a lot of guilt or spend much time agonizing over the murders they've committed, and for the most part these don't contribute to the hell they find themselves in--except for the consequences if they get discovered. I liked Mark's comments about characters being forced to confront their own morality, and what they will or will not do to get what they want--I think that's spot on. Other forces other than their conscience over their acts or worrying about their own mortality tends to land them in their private hell. Some spoilers below...

In Double Indemnity, Walter Huff and Phyliss are completely remorseless about murdering her husband. They're screwed because they ended up in place where they're stuck with each other and suicide is the only way out.

Hell of a Woman, Dolly Dillon is completely remorseless about killing the old woman and drunk laborer he set up as the fall guy. Psychically he's already damaged goods well before the murders and the robbery--someone who finds a way to make the worst of any situation, and his hardluck of losing the old woman's money is more than enough to drive him over the edge. By the time he kills his wife, he has already slipped into insanity.

Pop. 1280, Nick Corey is also completely remorseless over his acts, and I don't see the murders causing the hell he ends up in.

Swell-Looking Babe, the bellhop, Dusty, might somehow be responsible for his dad's (and mom's death), and he might be facing his own impending death, but the hell he lands in is because he's lost the woman that he needs.

While most noir books include a murder or two (or three), these characters tend to be remorseless, and the hell they find themselves trapped in tend be caused by other factors--although fear of exposure for a murder could be one of them, but again, I see it more as a spiritual death or loss-- the character has gotten to a point where salvation is no longer possible and they can't live within anymore within their own skin. Anyway, that's my take!

--Dave Z,