Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: S鲩e Noire

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2006

Mark wrote:

And the evil characters are pure evil. That seems to be part of noir for me, characters confronting their own morality, what they will and will not do to get what they want.

************ Great post, Mark, even though I snipped most of it. Your comment about Sin City being noirish but not noir is very revealing concerning the difference in perceptions in rara-avis between noir as atmosphere and noir as content.

However, I find your comment about evil characters being pure evil in noir as odd. Some might be, but some are little more than immoral opportunists. I don't think of Cora or Frank from Cain's Postman as pure evil. Same case for the bankrobbers in Thieves Like Us. Even scheming Stanley of Nightmare Alley seems more greedy than evil. I don't see any real evil in They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

miker