RARA-AVIS: Re: S鲩e Noire

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2006

Al, it's not necessarily a confrontation with death, but more something they can't live with. My two earlier examples, A Hell of a Woman and Pop. 1280 are examples of this, and Mr. Arkadin is also a perfect example of this--it's the character's betrayal of his girlfriend that he can't live with, even though the betrayal was necessary to save himself. "Double Indemnity" is also a good example-
-Huff and Phyliss have nothing waiting for them but death, and death is actually a release for them. The hopeless state in these characters (and in my opinion the best of noir) has nothing to do with any confrontation with death, but their own psychic destruction.

--Dave

Btw. Agree Marv was pure hardboiled--nothing noirish about his fate.

Mark--I mentioned "The Name of the Game is Death" because of the follow ons--"One Endless Hour" and the string of soft porn books afterwards. So while Drake seemed completely screwed, the follow-on books allowed him to wriggle out. ;)

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "al_guthrie65" <allan@...> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Isn't 'a confrontation with death' what leads these 'walking dead'
> protagonists to their final hopeless state? The 'confrontation
with
> death' I mention below doesn't have to be the protagonist's own.
It