Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: S鲩e Noire

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2006

At 10:27 PM 20/12/2006 +0000, you wrote:

>'Screwed' is close but it doesn't take attitude into account. You
>can strap a man in an electric chair and fry his brains but if he
>doesn't give a shit, it's not noir.
>
>Mortality has always been a fundamental part of noir for me.
>Consequently, I'd suggest that noir might be defined as 'a
>confrontation with death by someone ill-equipped to deal with it'.

It's an interesting idea Al. Rather than spinning out of control, this guy's world is unfolding, presumably, as he believes it should. But in accepting that fate, hasn't he adopted a noir philosophy?

Have we entered the realm of trying to interpret the author's intentions?

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com