RARA-AVIS: Female protagonists in hard-boiled fiction and roman noir

From: uplandharmabooks ( uplandharmabooks@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2006

Greetings-

I'm trying to compile a list of hard-boiled fiction and roman noir in which a woman is the protagonist (such as Wade Miller's "Branded Woman") or a co-protagonist (such as Thompson's "The Getaway" or Sanders' "Whiphand"). I'm trying to keep the titles in the era of 1930s - 1960s. I've contacted both the Kelley Collection in Buffalo and The Browne Popular Culture Library in Bowling Green, OH, and have received a reply from George Kelley himself suggesting I pick up a copy of "Deadly Women" by Jan Grape (which I'll do after Christmas).

I discovered Rara Avis over a year ago and love it. I think if anyone could help me with this list it would be the people here. Thanks very much everyone for your time and have happy holidays!

Amy