Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: willie or not

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Dec 2006

Well, in my opinion, Ruth Rendell is the most realistic and insightful writer working in mystery/noir fiction. I can't think of another writer who gets as close to the bone, or has as clear a way of describing the insanity from which crime springs than Rendell has. The Veiled One is a great example of how a policeman changes the facts to suit his theory of a crime with desasterous results. The Bridesmaid and Lake of Darkness are brilliant descriptions of homocidal mania. One wonders how she understands the problem so vividly without being a maniac herself. I think she's about the best dead or alive.

Patrick King