RARA-AVIS: Noir and Social Reform

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 15 Dec 2006

The thread mentioned above reminded me of a PW article about Joe Lansdale. Here's a bit of it:

>>>Recently returned from Lago D'Orta, Italy, where Lansdale accepted the
Grinzane Cavour Literature Prize for Lifetime Achievement, he's often asked why he's so popular in Italy, where his new novel, *Lost Echoes* (Vintage), was published in October and is already a bestseller. In Italy, "Texas is as alien as Mars," Lansdale says, and obviously just as fascinating. Italy saw first publication because, according to Lansdale, "Vintage bumped it forward when proofreading took longer than we thought, and I didn't want to change the Italian pub date. Italy has been very good to me, and I wanted to give them the opportunity to print it first."

Established in 1982, the Grinzane Cavour Literature Prize (with 5,000 euros attached) promotes literature in schools and among young people. The Italians cited Lansdale's ability to put important social issues into his genre fiction.>>> You can read the whole article here: http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6398456&display=current

Bill Crider