RARA-AVIS: Re: Sara Paretsky's V. I. Warshawski short stories

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 14 Dec 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas G. Greene" <dgreene@...> wrote:

> Brad
>
> You may have a problem as the order of the stories differs between
V.
> I. FOR SHORT and WINDY CITY BLUES, but I expect that one of the
> volumes lists original publication date.

The order in the UK edition is as follows:

THE TAKAMOKU JOSEKI THREE-DOT PO AT THE OLD SWIMMING HOLE SKIN DEEP THE CASE OF THE PIETRO ANDROMACHE THE MALTESE CAT SETTLED SCORE STRUNG OUT GRACE NOTES

The dates listed on the copyright page suggest that this us the order the stories were written in, but that isn't always helpful in determining where they fit into the chronology of the books. For example, THREE-DOT PO was originally published in 1984 - but does that mean it should be read before or after DEADLOCK, a novel published the same year? Should SKIN DEEP (published in 1987) be read before or after BITTER MEDICINE (also published in 1987)? Should THE MALTESE CAT (1990) be read before or after BURN MARKS (also 1990)? Should STRUNG OUT be read before or after GUARDIAN ANGEL?