RARA-AVIS: Re: Priests

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 12 Dec 2006

Absolutely correct. Bogie wore the collar but wasn't a priest. The movie was based on a novel by William E. Barrett, who honed his craft in the pulp pages of Dime Detective and Black Mask. One of Barrett's series was Needle Mike, a grubby tatoo artist who in the way of comic/pulp heroes was the disquise of a young millionaire.

Barrett returned to a religious background with his novel LILIES OF THE FIELD but I bet writing about Needle Mike was alot more fun.

Richard Moore