RARA-AVIS: Re: willie or not

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> I don't get your point, Jacques. In your own example,
> obviously, both Ellington fans are correct. Ellington
> is a composer who can be appreciated by both types of
> listeners. It's seems to me you're claiming that the
> person who considers what s/he reads is less valid
> than a person who reads without consideration, just to
> kill time. I'm sure that's not what you mean. What are
> you driving at?

They're both killing time. That is what one does when reading. Any generalization about what happens inside a reader's head is gratuitous. You and I may both enjoy Jim Thompson, but neither can draw conclusions about what's going on while the other reads. For that matter, I don't know what's going on inside _my_ head while I'm reading. I can't read and simultaneously contemplate myself reading...

So your distinction between the "escapist" (or let's say "hedonist") reader and the "serious"
(or dedicated, or considered, or whatever positive adjective you want to use) is not functional: you cannot even know whether you yourself are being one or the other, or something else, while you read a book.

Books are like girls, you can read the ones that are best for you and not like them or even understand them, and the opposite is also true (in fact, getting involved with the wrong kind of girl is a classic noir theme, the femme fatale).

Best,

MrT