RARA-AVIS: Re: willie or not

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> Mark wrote:
> Damn, a little elitist, eh? I refuse to believe that
> modern readers of
> escapist literature are not "discerning readers." And
> many of the
> classics in our genre are the escapist literature of
> their day -- Gold
> Medal, anyone? Regardless of the level of
> "discernment, " no readers
> seek out books they expect to dislike.
>
> I'm just being realistic. Most readers DO judge a book
> by it's cover. It's impossible to know how many
> readers, like myself, bought The Davinci Code and were
> horribly disappointed by it.
> But by comparison to Dan Brown, Jim Thompson was on
> par with Tolstoy.

Obviously (very obviously), Jim Thompson wrote a far better noir novel than Tolstoy. I think you're prejudiced, perhaps by the old division between "real fiction" and "genre fiction" in lit courses. It's bullshit, of course, just like the division between "serious music" and "entertainment music". Why the hell would you read a work of fiction or listen to a piece of music if it doesn't entertain you in the first place. It's not like reading and listening to music (add any other art you want) are mandatory activities. If two guys are Ellington fans, say, and one says it's because the stuff swings and the other says that it's because he likes to dissect the harmonies and analyze the relationship of Ellington's method to the avant-gardists in France, would you privilege the harmonies guy? Very dubious.

Best,

MrT