Re: RARA-AVIS: willie or not

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2006

Frederick Zackel wrote:

I have been lurking during this discussion of transcendence, and I kept wanting to bring up religion. I don't know how you can mumble about Western Civ and any element of it without bringing up religion's 3000-year overwhelming stranglehold.
  So, methinks, a noir protagonist thinks with his willie, and that dooms him. Noir is about morality. The inevitability is, well, judgment day. I look at noir writers and I see religion oozing from them like January maple syrup.

************** I think the relationship between religion and noir has come up a few times. Noir plays to some of the major themes and motifs in the Bible. Femmes fatale, temptation, betrayal, doomed protagonists, and bad endings, the Bible has got em all.

miker