Re: RARA-AVIS: willie or not

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2006

You raise some interesting points. But note, the great hardboiled and noir writers seldom mention religion. Their morality is more obvious than high-falutin mysticism. Also, referencing specific belief systems was death to publishers until very recently, especially in genre literature. In fact it may still be. Chesterton and Green are the only two I can think of who broke that rule yet were more or less
"successful." The sexual dynamic in Hammett, Chandler, Spillane, and Cain is very interesting. You drew several points from Falcon. Note that with the exception of Spade, all the other major male figures in the novel are various stereotype homosexuals. That's how they avoid Bridget's clutches! Chandler's world is full of alcoholics, drug addicts, pornographers, sexual sadists, phoney psychics, and women with serious psychological damage. All of Cain's novels are about sex mania. Serenade, probably his most interesting on many levels, was way over the top when he wrote it. It deals with the sexual dynamic in art and commerce. The protagonist is bi-sexual and totally confused on that fact. That he regains his sexual and artistic ability in an abandoned church during a desert flash flood adds to the symbolism. Serenade would make a great movie and today one could film it without pulling punches. Personally, being neither mystical nor superstitious, I don't see religion per se being that significant to these works. I'm sure one can and probably has written Zen or Buddhist "noir" novels. Yokio Mishima, for instance and Kawabatta. It's about common sense: If lust leads to theft and murder, you're probably going to have problems in any society whatever religion prevails in it. No culture puts up with this kind of behavior. One of the most tragic "noir" characters is Pat in Recoil. This guy is genuinly trying to do well but he can't extricate himself from his lousey fate. While he's not a stupid character, and, in fact, he's very street smart, he's not clever enough to see through the people who simply can't help him and will ultimately destroy him.

Patrick King