Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Best Contemporary Hardboiled Author?

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Dec 2006

Dave Zeltserman wrote:

Charles Willeford--while he wrote from 50s to the 80s, his writing is as contemporary as anyone's, and more of his books are now resurfacing (and hopefully Grimhaven will!)

************ I agree. I can't think of anyone who has approached his best in the last ten years. James Ellroy wrote The Black Dahlia in 1987. Cormac McCarthy wrote Blood Meridian in 1992. I have read Crais and enjoyed him but wasn't compelled to read more.

I've read very little hardboiled or noir written in the last ten years that I've found truly outstanding. Most contemporary writers in the genres are finished for me after one novel.

miker

____________________________________________________________________________________ Any questions? Get answers on any topic at www.Answers.yahoo.com. Try it now.