Re: RARA-AVIS: Brief Thoughts on Spillane (a couple of spoilers)

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Dec 2006

Spillane is a tricky one. You have to remember, he started life writing comic books. Of all his books, my favorite is THE DEEP, which is not a Mike Hammer story. His lack of any sense of normal behavior make his books great escapist material but very poor role models even for writers. He makes James Bond seem absolutely plausible. His sexual attitudes are what really disturb me. He has the most acute angel/whore fixation of any writer I can think of. On the other hand, his underlying homosexual themes are nearly classic. Read THE ERECTION SET for a real head shaker in this department. I think Spillane missed his true calling... as a Catholic priest!

Patrick King