RARA-AVIS: Brief Thoughts on Spillane (a couple of spoilers)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Nov 2006

I went through a recent tear on Spillane, reading or rereading I, THE JURY; THE BIG KILL; VENGEANCE IS MINE; KISS ME DEADLY; ONE LONELY NIGHT; MY GUN IS QUICK; THE GIRL HUNTERS; THE SNAKE; and THE TWISTED THING.

Spillane is an odd duck. Truly. I think he's easily one of the most influential writers of the genre, and in a more general way I think he's an important figure in post WW 2 American culture. But that doesn't diminish the fact that a lot of his writing paled for me this time around.

I, THE JURY has a great beginning and a great ending, but the rest of it is really a lot of vamping to the finish. The beginning of ONE LONELY NIGHT is, I think, the single best sustained piece of writing Spillane ever did, but it soon descends into a lot of cliched anti-Communism which, no matter how you feel about the subject, feels like a real comedown in intensity. VENGEANCE IS MINE is an extraordinarily interesting book, and a cultural critic could have a field day with it, but it's absurdly dated and certainly has lost a lot of it's punch.

Even the two books of his I like the best, MY GUN IS QUICK and THE TWISTED THING can't be said to be successful in terms of plot. You can guess the villain in GUN by sheer process of elimination, and THING gives away the game in the very title.

The first thing I want to say about Spillane is that he is a writer of moments. For all of his pose as the consummate self-depracating tough guy professional, he is in fact something of a Romantic -- by which I mean his work, when it's good, is good due to it's deliberately heightened pitches of emotion. Nobody can sustain that kind of level over a length of time, which is why even the best Spillane novels have draggy patches. A Spillane novel builds to a peak -- it's also no accident that a lot of his best moments are endings.

(There is still a notion in some circles that Spillane was some kind of grunting clodhopper, but THE TWISTED THING I think is the final refutation of that. It is a well-written and well plotted -- I think his best job of plotting, actually. It covers a world that Spillane mostly did not deal with and did it credibly. Of all things, Spillane is actually quite good at descriptions of nature.)

The other thing I want to say about Spillane is this. The hb novel has as it's engine a process of uncovering. Generally, the protagonist reveals the truth of the world, which is seen to be far worse that what surface reality presents. Usually the truth of the world is unconquerable: the hb protagonist basically just makes his/her seperate piece with it.
(While conversely the noir protagonist is subsumed by the "truth". But I saw there was a whole discussion of that here already, don't want to open that up again.)

What Spillane did was take that uncovering to a kind of poetic conclusion. Hammer is constantly uncovering Hell, basically. And I mean that in the religious sense of the term -- in MY GUN Hammer and his bad guy are literally in flames screaming. (The books are constant knocking out of the props of the world: love, women in general, respectable old men, children, etc. What's revealed is corruption, yes, but corruption in a sin-and-damnation sense. Twisted thing, indeed.)

This is an extraordinary thing, I think: the blending of the hb crime novel with what is really a kind of religious revulsion.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

____________________________________________________________________________________ Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index