Re: RARA-AVIS: noir vision and social injustice

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 28 Nov 2006

At 12:15 PM 28/11/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Spade comes away from this case with a new
>understanding of insanity. I don't think he is so
>cynical he can never find happiness, himself, however.

Hey, I'm just going by what Spade said and did. He had this list of reasons why he wouldn't spare Brigid from the law, and most of them had to do with his personal survival, despite a strong desire, (something about wanting to with all his being or some such romantic blather) to do so. Sounds like love to me, but maybe Sam was just horny that day.

Okay, horniness or love, they're both forms of insanity though fortunately they do manage to perpetuate our species, rendering discussions of human sanity possible.

Sam's list did sound pretty cynical, but he also suggested Brigid look him up if she cheated the gallows and only got life. Maybe they do hook up in the end and maybe now there are dozens of little Sam and Brigid descendents chasing after the stuff dreams are made of happily ever after. Too bad Hammett drank himself to death and never finished the book.

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com