Re: RARA-AVIS: noir vision and social injustice

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Nov 2006

Kerry wrote:

Sam Spade throws over the possibility of love
(romantic transcendence, and I think a metaphor for Christian transcendence) and declines the chase for whatever "dreams are made of" (an empty icon for transcendence) in order to survive as an individual and a businessman.
***************************************************** The moment Miles Archer was murdered, Spade knew Bridget O'Shannessey was involved in it up to her eyebrows. He made love to her because he knew that was what she would need, to believe she was manipulating him. But he was never under her spell. The "Dream" speech is the dawning on Spade of the exact level of sociopathy he was dealing in. It's only then that he discovers there is not a shred of truth to the whole scenario which was the reason for at least 3 deaths we know about. Spade comes away from this case with a new understanding of insanity. I don't think he is so cynical he can never find happiness, himself, however.