Re: RARA-AVIS: can noir writers advocate social reform?

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2006

> Dillon was the product
> of his background as all of Thompson's characters are.
> He is brutal because of the hopelessness of his
> circumstance.

This is where we have our disagreement--I see Dillon's brutal nature due to a severe personality flaw--as highlighted throughout the book of his being a hardluck guy who keeps making the worse of his situations.Every woman he ends up with is a worse slob tramp than the one before (even if she isn't), every situation turns to crap on him-- it's not because of the hopelessness of his situations (since he create it), but due to his broken personality. Where I agree with you wholeheartedly is the depth of Thompson's writing.

--Dave Z.