RARA-AVIS: From McCarthy's The Road

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2006

"He got up and walked out to the road. The black shape of it running from dark to dark. Then a disant low rumble. Not thunder. You could feel it under your feet. A sound without cognate and so without description. Something imponderable shifting out there in the dark. The earth itself contracting with the cold. It did not come again. What time of year? What age the child? He walked out into the road and stood. The silence. The salitter drying from the earth. The mudstained shapes of flooded cities burned to the waterline. At a crossroads a ground set with dolmen stones where the spoken bones of oracles lay moldering. No sound but the wind. What will you say? A living man spoke these lines? He sharpened a quill with his small pen knife to scribe these things in sloe or lampblack? At some reckonable and entabled moment? He is coming to steal my eyes. To seal my mouth with dirt."

miker

Compare mortgage rates for today. Get up to 5 free quotes. Www2.nextag.com