RARA-AVIS: Warner and low costs

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 16 Nov 2006

Mark wrote:

"Not sure if this applies to Warner, but their "cheapness" implies it might. I seem to remember that a college professor of mine, Douglas Gomery, wrote an article about film noir's distinctive look coming from studios cutting costs by lowering the wattage of the lighting on their movies."

There's an article about that, alright, but I don't think it was by Gomery. (Don't remember, though, who it is by.) The main argument was about the fourties B films, not Warner Bros's pictures that were mainly directed at the A movie market, at least those with Cagney, Robinson and Bogart.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com