Re: RARA-AVIS: Warner Brothers' "Tough Guys"

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 15 Nov 2006

Bill wrote:

"I've learned there were reasons for it: for example, Warner Brothers was the "cheap" movie company and fast-paced action was demanded by the brothers in place of star-power, plot and character-development. If anyone has further information about Warners and its "tough guy" image I'd like to hear about it."

Not sure if this applies to Warner, but their "cheapness" implies it might. I seem to remember that a college professor of mine, Douglas Gomery, wrote an article about film noir's distinctive look coming from studios cutting costs by lowering the wattage of the lighting on their movies.

Mark