RARA-AVIS: Re: Connelly's Echo Park and The Overlook

From: bookbitch ( BookBitch@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 Nov 2006

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Chris M" <cptpipes@...> wrote:
>>I also hope Avians who enjoy Connelly are reading THE OVERLOOK, the
novella-length Bosch story that is being serialized in the New York Times this fall. The action takes place after the end of ECHO PARK, but the serialization began before the release of the novel, but it all makes sense so far.>>

I saw Connelly last week at a book signing and he talked a bit about THE OVERLOOK and the process of writing to a serialized format. He said it was constraining to hit the same number of words each week, and that in his books the length of the chapters tend to vary quite a bit. He likes to break where he feels the story needs it, rather than what will fit in the space required. So the serial has had some padding in places that he didn't really feel needed it and he's had to cut some stuff that he felt was important just so it would fit in the slot, so to speak.

He said he was looking forward to the novella that will eventually be published of this serial because it will be the story he wrote, but in the way he wanted to write it (if that makes sense - this is my interpretation and memory of what Connelly said and not in any way to be taken as a direct quote!)

If you want to read more about the signing, including his correction to the Chandler apartment reference in the Janet Maslin review in the NY Times and the liklehood of Mickey Haller (Lincoln Lawyer) and Harry Bosch ever coming together in a book, check out my blog: http://bookbitch.blogspot.com/

Stacy

I am the BookBitch www.bookbitch.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional