Re: RARA-AVIS: David Goodis review

From: Stephen Burridge ( stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 02 Nov 2006

"Shoot the Piano Player" was for me a very interesting book. I don't think I've ever read anything quite like it. For me, the explosion of violence about two thirds of the way through the book was unexpected, quite riveting, and dominated the whole experience of reading the novel, though it's a relatively brief passage.

Though an artist (pianist), the main character doesn't seem to me to fit the characterization in the David Ulin review: "Again and again, Goodis writes of artists or professionals who have betrayed themselves, ruined by whiskey, women or their own character flaws." In "Shoot the Piano Player" the women don't really betray the protagonist, and neither does the whiskey. The women, in fact, are destroyed by their relationship with him. The character is flawed perhaps, but generous and decent; he does his best but fails. He is betrayed by a particular more powerful individual, and by circumstances.

Stephen

On 10/31/06, Stephen Burridge < stephen.burridge@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this. It's timely for me because I'm just in the middle of
> reading "Shoot the Piano Player", my first exposure to Goodis. (Suggested by
> Mr. Crider's video'd queries, "Goodis or Thompson?")
>
> Stephen Burridge
>

> On 10/31/06, Randy Krbechek < randyk@psnw.com> wrote:
> >
> > Below is a David Goodis review that ran in the
> > L.A. Times on Saturday, October 28, 2006.
> >
> > Bye.
> > Randy Krbechek
> > Fresno, CA

<*> Your email settings: