RARA-AVIS: Re: Whores for Gloria

From: Adam Haynes ( pacificvagrant@earthlink.net)
Date: 21 Oct 2006

<< I'm figuring on giving Vollmann another shot here
  soon.>>

Vollmann's cool. He's the noir spinner of stream of consciousness and magical realism. I would consider him post-mod because maybe more than anything he gleefully DJs high brow/low brow genres and aesthetic styles into whatever whim he's mining. Sometimes he gets too tricky and dense for me but I keep reading him because there's always such an achingly raw, gritty core of empathy and sadness to his stuff. If you dug Whores you might really dig The Rainbow Stories, especially The Blue Yonder. The Royal Family's really cool too, if you can groove with Burroughs rewriting Pynchon, riffing on Melville. Also The Handcuff Manual from 13 Stories, 13 Epitaphs kills me every time I reread it.

adam

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: