Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Runyon

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 18 Oct 2006

Ed,

I have some basic information about Charles W.Runyon; but as you had contacts with his agent I suppose you know this already. Anyway, just in case:

- born in 1928 in Sheridan (Missouri) - death: 1987
- after his studies (university level- Missouri, Indiana and even in Munich) -finished in 1954, he was editor for
   oil companies
- start to write fiction in 1960, mainly short stories at first (SF and mystery) for Manhunt, Alfred Hitchcock
  Magazine, Michael Shayne, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Fantastic, Super Science Fiction
- seems to be today a writer better known by the SF fans (one of his famous SF novels is Pig World -1971-
  wherein America is led by a right wing dictator)
- wrote more than 20 novels (but I have not the complete list)
- as far as I know, "The Prettiest Girl I Ever Killed" is considered as a minor classic
- he ghost wrote some Ellery Queen novels :"The Last Score" (1964) "The Killer Touch" (1965) "Kiss and
    Kill" (1969)

I have the titles of some of his short stories, mainly SF- but I suppose it does not really help here.

Well, as you can see it, all this is not very much..

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http:// www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

ejgorman99@aol.wrote :
> I'm writing introductions to the first Three-fer for Stark House--three Gold
> Medal books in a single trade pb for less than twenty dollars. Two of the
> books are slick but dark Park Avenue Tramp by Fletcher Flora and a stunning Jim
> Thompsonesque novel by Charles Runyon, The Prettiest Girl I Ever Killed. I'm
> having a problem gathering background info on these guys. I was supposed to hear
> from Mrs. Flora but none of my e mails have been returned. Barry Malzberg was
> kind enough to do a very entertaining and informative interview not only about
> being Runyon's agent but about the pb field in general. Still, if anybody
> knows anything about these men, please send it along

___________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Mail r驮vente le mail ! D飯uvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface r鶯lutionnaire. http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: