RARA-AVIS: Re: Roger Torrey bio information, 2nd add

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 18 Oct 2006

I looked at my original post this morning on Roger Torrey again and realized that I had somehow managed to leave off the very important fact of his date of death.

Roger died on January 11, 1946 at his residence at 1009 SE 4th Street, Fort Lauderdale, Florida and was buried on January 18th at Evergreen Cemetery in that city. An article appeared in the Herald & News of Klamath Falls, Oregon on January 12, 1946 under the headline "Roger torrey Taken By Death" but more reliable information comes from the death certificate.

In one respect, I believe the death certificate is inaccurate. It gives his birthdate as May 5, 1900 but family histories as far back as the 1920s and in articles about his mother in Klamath Falls newspapers and histories say his birthdate was May 5, 1901. The 1930 Census taker recorded Roger's information on April 8, 1930 and his age was given as 28. In addition, if Roger was born in 1900, he would have been 18 when he tried to join the U.S. Army and I doubt he would have been turned down because of his youth. When he crossed the border to join the Canadian Army he claimed to have been born in Canada on October 5, 1899.

So I consider May 5, 1901 as the date of his birth and January 11, 1946 is the date of his death.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Moore" <moorich@...> wrote:

> Looking over my last post I noticed that I did not say that it was
the
> Canadian Army Roger joined after the U.S. Army turned him down
because
> of his youth. It was fairly apparent from the context but I wanted
> correct the oversight. Raymond Chandler was another Black Mask
writer
> who served in the Canadian Army. Raymond saw considerable service
but
> the war ended before Roger ever left Canada.
>
> Richard Moore

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: