Re: RARA-AVIS: "Deadwood " will stop ?

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 16 Oct 2006

>I read somewhere that Deadwood's producer could not convince HBO's
> executives to continue the series after the third season; in counterpart
> HBO accepted to create two telefilms to finish the story (.thus
> breaking the existing pace of the series wherein each episode tells the
> events taking place during one day).
>
> Does somebody have more accurate info about the future of this
> outstanding series?

That's a basically sound explanation of the circumstances behind the show's demise. There's clearly more to it than either HBO or executive producer David Milch are letting on, even to those of us in the cast. But I think that's it in a nutshell. The show was about six million an episode, pretty expensive, especially considering Paramount rather than HBO held the international (non-US) distribution rights. What has never made complete sense to me is why HBO would so anger Milch (and it's pretty clear to me that he was very angry) at the same time they are preparing a new show with him. (Called JOHN FROM CINCINNATI, it's co-produced by none other than Kem Nunn, which makes sense, since it's basically surf noir with some odd quirks thrown in.)

As to the two two-hour movies to wrap up DEADWOOD's storyline: I don't know. Everyone in charge talks as if they will happen, but I've heard a fair amount of backstage hedging. Of course, those of you who follow the show will understand why it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, specifically, though I would very much like, as a fan, to see the show get a proper finish.

Jim Beaver

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: