RARA-AVIS: Blatant Self Promotion/Lights Out/Hard Case Crime

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 11 Oct 2006

Frederick Zackel wrote:

"Today I hold it in my hands; it came by UPS. Yes, on 1 November 2006 the hardboiled imprint Point Blank Press is bringing back out my first book, 1978's "Cocaine & Blue Eyes." I know most of you never heard of it, most mystery fans never did, but I might be able to give you four good reasons why you might want to stock a few copies to give as Christmas presents."

Fred, I certainly have heard about Cocaine & Blue Eyes, in fact I have two copies somewhere in my basement or garage. I came across a copy not long after it was mentioned once on the list and purchased it. A few months later I was looking through a list of books I had read and realized that I had read it years ago. As I seldom give away books, I know that first copy is in a box somewhere.

As for Lights Out, I stopped myself from purchasing the UK trade paperback at Murder One while in London in early August and ordered the US edition from our local mystery independent. Just so you know, Jason, Whodunit in Winnipeg brought in five copies in addition to the one I ordered. When I first asked about it, they didn't have any copies on order.

I also had to get them to order Bust when it came out as the Hard Case Crime books aren't big sellers in their store. However, our largest independent, McNally Robinson, has a special section for Hard Case Crime in its mystery section.

Kent Morgan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: