RARA-AVIS: Re: Irish (and a touch of British) questions

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Oct 2006

Mark,

Re your question below:

"The psychiatrist in the madhouse wore 'a Claddagh ring on her wedding finger, heart turned in.' I kinda know what a Claddagh ring is, but what's the significance of its being turned in?"

A Claddagh ring depicts two hands holding a heart. I may have this reversed, but if it's pointed in, it means the wearer's heart is already spoken for. If it's worn with the heart pointed out, it means the wearer's heart is still unclaimed.

Or it may be the other way around. My wife wears one that's designed as a pendant rather than ring for the finger, so the "heart pointed in, heart pointed out" distinction is never an issue since it hangs.

While we're on the subject of Ken Bruen, I had occasion to talk with him at some length at Bouchercon. He mentioned that he'd lost his older daughter in a traffic accident during the last year.

I'm sure he'd appreciate any prayers and good thoughts any of you might be inclined to offer.

JIM DOHERTY

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: