Re: RARA-AVIS: Irish (and a touch of British) questions

From: Allan Guthrie ( allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 09 Oct 2006

CALIBRE is US only, too. So's A FIFTH OF BRUEN. BAUDELAIRE is terrific. I've read them all and that's one of the best. AMERICAN SKIN is right up there too. Hell of an opening chapter.

Delighted to see Derek Raymond made it onto the Observer best novels list at the weekend: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1890228,00.html

Just read a Ted Lewis not so long ago, BILLY RAGS. Forgotten just how good a writer he was. I also went to see the stage play version of GET CARTER during the Edinburgh Festival (thanks to Karin and Kerry for the heads up). Extremely well done, with only a handful of characters. Great set and clever use of props. Plenty of sex and blood. Great music. All the violence was done in slo-mo, which was highly effective. Only slight criticism: Jack Carter started narrating part-way through, and his narrative interludes (straight from the book) became just a bit intrusive. I couldn't help but feel that there were better ways of imparting the information. Expository dumps like that rarely work. But nine out of ten otherwise.

BTW, there's a new 'postmodern pulp' edition of the Mississippi Review. http://www.mississippireview.com/ Last Anthony Neil Smith-edited issue produced some of the best shorts I've read in a long time (including the opening chapter of AMERICAN SKIN).

Cheers,

Al