RARA-AVIS: "That Kind" of Book

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 08 Oct 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 12:24 AM, Ron wrote:

> I went to Borders last night to pick up a copy, and they didn't
> have any in
> stock. I asked the counterperson if they had any on order, and he
> said no
> ("...but we could order you a copy if you'd like."). Disappointing
> to say
> the least, from both my and Jason's perspective. Hopefully my
> store is more
> the exception than the rule when it comes to this chain and their
> apparent
> disinterest in LIGHTS OUT.

Or maybe they sold out already. You're making a really big jump to a possibly dubious conclusion.

It's impossible for any store, big or small, despite the best of intentions, to stock EVERYTHING. Our local B&N has several copies of Jason's book, for example, but that doesn't mean every store in the chain will. Or will have it in stock when a customer wants it.

Don't ever shrug off ordering a book. It doesn't cost any more, and it usually only takes a few days (unless it's a rare book or a lame store), and ordering a book tells someone somewhere that people do want that book. Always a good thing.

> Hitting B&N today...hope my luck's better.

Well, I got mine at MYSTERIES TO DIE FOR in Thousand Oaks and had it signed by the man himself, although the highlight had to be the guy who wandered in and wondered whether "that kind" of book should be sold in a mystery bookstore.

I tell ya, the Rare-Birds in attendance had a good time with that one.

Any comments about "that kind" of book, guys?

Kevin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: